Perhaps the only people more unhappy with the medical system
than doctors are their patients. The
other day I overheard a conversation in my chiropractor’s waiting room. A well-dressed, articulate woman was telling
the receptionist about her mother’s hospital experience, which involved
transferring from the local community hospital to a larger teaching hospital for
emergency surgery. “No one told us what was going on” she told the receptionist,
“so I went up to her doctor and said, ‘ Do you have a minute?’ He looked right at me and said ‘No,
actually, I don’t’ and walked away!”
I cringed when I heard this. I actually know the doctor she was referring to and had
always found him to be a caring professional. Yet he didn’t have a
minute to talk to this sick woman’s worried family, or even 10 seconds to
say “No, I don’t right now, but if you give me a number where I can reach you, I
will call you as soon as I do.”
Just the other night my mother, who is an RN, shared with me
her disappointment in her new doctor.
She chose this doctor because she was a female, close in age, and she
had hoped that as medical professionals they might connect. “I went for a physical and, except for
putting her stethoscope to my chest, she
didn’t even touch me”. She told
the doctor that she had recently been waking up in the night with
palpitations. According to my
mother, the doctor didn’t even try to figure out the cause of this new symptom. “She didn’t even ask me any questions!”
I suspect that this busy professional was trying to cut
corners with her relatively healthy patient so that she could have a few more
minutes with her sicker ones.
Still, it is hard to justify a doctor not touching a patient during a
physical exam. Worse yet, how can a potentially serious symptom of a cardiac
nature not warrant a few questions and some simple tests? I found myself wondering if I will
become like this doctor after a few more years on the medical treadmill, going
through the motions of treating a patient without actually caring.
Consider now the sicker patients, such as the growing
elderly population. I feel
terrible for my older patients as they attempt to navigate this new complicated
medical world of computers and rushed appointments. The sheer effort they make in preparation for their
longed-for face time with me is daunting, often including planning months in
advance to coordinate rides with busy family members. For many lonely older people, this much anticipated visit is
a disappointment. Sifting through
the pile of medications and discussing their most pressing health issues takes
precedence over socializing.
And, truth be told, they really don’t want to be on all of
these medications that they can’t afford on their fixed incomes. Many elderly patients take more than a
dozen medications, collected from multiple specialists that focus on one organ
at a time. This vulnerable population is afraid to have more tests that may
find something else that needs to be treated and may not be covered by their
insurance. What they really want
is a quick check up and to talk about their worries, like their loss of
independence or grief over passed family members. They are afraid of the very real possibility that they may
spend their last days in a nursing home.
They lament the old days where they could die quietly in their homes
surrounded by loved ones and supported by their trusted family doctor. As one elderly patient of mine said
when it was suggested that with his good health he could live to be 100, “How
dare you!”
Electronic medical records (EMR) have further exacerbated the
lost human touch between doctors and patients. Patients are uncomfortable sharing intimate health issues to
a doctor staring at a screen. I used
to sit next to my patients so that I could look them in the eyes and reach out
to touch them if they were upset.
I would occasionally scribble down a few pertinent details about their
symptoms while I sat there so that I could remember them when I dictated my
notes later. Now I stand in front
of a screen, looking over and around it to see my patients.
In addition, the computer actually keeps track of how much
is accomplished by me while I am still in the room with a patient (the
efficient doctor does their charting with the patient present). A weekly “pulse” alert compares me to
both my peers and to an idealized gold standard of proficiency in areas such as
orders entered while still in the exam room and charting completed within an
hour of patients’ visit, both of which compel doctors to type and talk
simultaneously. EMR also provides
easy access for insurance companies to collect data about patient care that
effects reimbursement. In a
diabetic, for example, insurance companies look at how well the blood sugar is
controlled and whether there is documentation of yearly eye exams, foot exams,
and urine tests. If these
variables are not properly documented, even if they are done, it is a mark
against a doctor ultimately resulting in less pay for the office. This contributes to the compulsion to
input the information immediately, rather than take a chance and forget to document
it later.
Another new trend in medicine is called Patient-Centered
Medical Home (PCMH). This was
developed to assist in accountability and hopefully better patient care. In reality, it amounts to pushing a lot
of virtual buttons on the computer screen. In order to meet EMR standards for PCMH, I must click a
button labeled “Mark as Reviewed” in multiple sections of the electronic chart
(vital signs, problem list, medication list, and allergies) even if these were
reviewed and recorded by my nurse. Pressing this button doesn’t actually insure that I did
review the section, it just means that I pressed the button. Searching out and pressing these buttons
on the screen distances me even more from the patient in front of me. I feel
like a mouse in an experiment where, if I learn to press the right buttons, my
hospital will be rewarded financially.
I am not opposed EMR.
In fact, I truly believe that the improvement in documentation and
accessibility will eventually result in better patient care. It is just hard to understand how
pressing buttons, placing orders and charting in the exam room will accomplish
this. On the contrary, my attention is diverted away from the patient in front
of me. Better patient care would
more likely arise from showing patients that their concerns are not only noted
in the computer, but actually heard.
It is really quite simple:
look at the patient in front of you, listen to what they are saying, hug
them when needed.
Patient care promises to become even more challenging as the
population becomes sicker than ever, increasing demands on an already overtaxed
and under-staffed system. The rise
in stress-related illnesses, the epidemic of obesity and diabetes, the growing
elderly population as baby-boomers age, the undertreated mentally ill, the
plague of young drug-seekers, the uninsured poor – it is enough raise my own
blood pressure. If our
society as a whole, led by forward thinking medical professionals, prioritized
wellness and put their efforts into prevention, I am certain we would not only
make tremendous health gains, but would also save a lot of money. This seemingly obvious conclusion was
not something that was taught in medical training, but rather something I
discovered on my own when I realized that my own health was at risk from
stress.
Having spent ten years of my own life running my father to appointments just as you describe here, I can attest to the accuracy in your piece.
ReplyDelete